Welcome to Lokrum.info!
The cloister of the monastery
Lokrum offers wonderful natural environment, a couple of sights and amenities to its guests. Out of the historic monuments the partly ruined former benedictine monastery is the one that stands out (parts of it were destroyed during the 1667 earthquake). It was Lokrum where Dubrovnik's quarantine was built up in the 16th century. This Lazaret was used up to the 17th c. - parts of it are still visible below Fort Royal, the fortification built during Napoleon's rule of the area in the early 19th c. The villa in the harbor is dated from the Habsburg era of the island, the second half of the 19th c.
Enriching the lush mediterranean flora of the island with a botanical garden was initiated by Habsburg archduke Maximilian, who bought Lokrum in 1859. The build up of the garden continued until to the early 20th c. - during these years parts of the monastery were transformed into a summer residence, as well.
A day trip to Lokrum offers fun for all members of a family. Lokrum has two larger beaches - one by the harbor and the other one on the northwestern side of the island (Stijene). The southeastern corner of the island is reserved for naturist bathers. One can walk throughout the island on its numerous trails - without the danger of getting seriously lost. Those with more intense sporting needs can use the fields on the southwestern part of the island. There is a cafe by the harbor and a beach bar at Stijene Beach and Mrtvo Jezero. The garden of the monastery has a restaurant for the thirsty and hungry guests.
More details about Lokrum are available on our site's pages:
Stijene - the southwestern cape of Lokrum
What do you think? Please comment here!